Cleaning security chimneys
Security chimneys require, as any other chimney by that matter, proper maintenance. The buildup of soot and creosote affects the proper functionality of your chimney and is dangerous as creosote is flammable and can start a house fire. You will require a few things:
- Correct size chimney brush
- Fireplace cover
- Chimney brush rods
- Metal bucket
- Vacuum cleaner
- Powerful flashlight
When cleaning a security chimney you must follow a few steps and start from the top of the chimney going down to the bottom.rclma
- Using a fireplace cover, you must seal the fireplace or stove from the rest of the house to avoid soot from entering;
- You may need to connect several rods to reach the bottom of the chimney;
- Clean the interior of the chimney with an up and down motion of the brush.
- The residue that remains, after cleaning the chimney with a brush, must be vacuumed or sweeped. Make sure not to miss areas like the smoke shelf, elbows or T connections.
- To help maintain the chimney clean of soot, use anti-creo-soot or any creosote removing products.