Mobile home chimney cleaning
Chimneys must be regularly cleaned because if not, the buildup of creosote resulted when burning fuel, can cause fires or other issues. Creosote buildups, birds nests and debris are the most common things that block a chimney. If you do not think you can accomplish the cleaning task, you must seek a professional sweeper’s help.
- Clear the fireplace of any objects including decorations and tools. Use drop cloth, sheet or newspapers to cover a 3-4 feet area around the fireplace. Cover any furniture that can’t be moved that is near the fireplace.
- Cover the fireplace opening with a damp sheet or a blanket. This way any debris falling down from the chimney won’t fall in the room. Open the flue.
- Clean the chimney using a brush tied with a rope. Lower the brush and bring it back up the chimney to scrape the creosote off the chimney walls and unblock the chimney of any debris.
- Wait about an hour before removing the fireplace opening cover, so that the dust and debris have settled.
- Protect yourself wearing long pants, long-sleeved shirt, a hat, a pair of gloves and a dust mask.
- Cleaning the chimney is easier after a recent fire has been completely put out.