How to decorate your ottoman with decorative nails
If you want to improve the aspect of your ottoman or you just want to add a decorative design to its upholstery use ornamental nails to make your wish come true. Decorative nails are available in various sizes and finishes and look very nice if applied on shirtless ottomans. For a high quality finish, use individual nails instead of nail head strips.rclma
- Tailor’s chalk
- Upholstery hammer, rubber or nylon tipped
- Measuring tape
- Decorative upholstery nails
How to do it
- Determine the diameter of the nail heads you have chosen and divide the result with two. Add one-eight of an inch.
- Put your piece of furniture on its side to measure the dimension from the bottom by the total result from the first step. Use a tailor’s chalk to mark the place. Draw a parallel line with the lowest part of the ottoman, making use of a straightedge. Place the straightedge at the marked place before. Do the same for the rest o three sides.
- Take into account the diameter of the nail head resulted from the first step and add one-sixteenth of an inch. Determine the dimension of the ottoman’s side along the marked line; mark cross hatches on the line at the same distances as your previous result.
- Make a small piercing into the upholstery by pushing a bradawl into the marked line crosshatches. After that, twist the bradawl very slowly into the wood.
- Introduce the nail heads’ parts into the bradawl holes. Use a hammer to insert the nails into the wooden structure. To avoid damaging the leather or fabric, use a special tool such as a rubber or nylon-tipped hammer for upholstery.