How to fix concrete steps
Concrete is the most durable material used to build steps, but it is not indestructible. During time, they can become unsafe because stone is prone to breakage, cracks and chipping. At the same time, weather conditions can also damage stone stairs, causing flaking or crumbling.rclma Any damage needs immediate repairing; otherwise you may fall and get some serious wounds. In addition, damaged stone stairs look very unaesthetic. Many people tend to believe that it is a difficult task to repair stone stairs, but as a matter of fact it is very simple if you follow some important advice.
In this article we will preset you several ideas to accomplish your task very easy and with minimal efforts.
Materials and tools
Before starting your job, gather all the materials and tools you need close at hand.
- cold chisel
- putty knife
- safety gloves
- plastic sheeting
- caulking gun
- eye protection
- waterproof caulk
- concrete bonding agent
- ready mix concrete
- clear silicon caulk
- wheelbarrow or mixer for concrete
- wooden float
- sledge hammer
How to fix small concrete step cracks
Although small cracks are not dangerous and can hardly be seen, during time they will become larger and larger. At the same time, they may store water which will make them grow. Besides the fact that the stairs look bad, they can cause serious injuries.
- Clean the damaged area very well with the help of an air compressor.
- Insert a layer of silicone caulk into the crack and then apply a sealant and waterproof filler along the length of the crack to fill it. This way you will stop water from entering into the stair.
- The next step is to smooth the surface of the stair with concrete. Protect the area and do not step on it for about six hours.
After this, smooth the surface with concrete and finally cover the surface for a few hours so that nobody steps on it. You can also learn how to how to build concrete stairs.
How to fix large concrete step cracks
- Use a sledge hammer to remove all the loose pieces from the edges of the stair. If you do not have a sledge hammer, use a cold chisel instead.
- Cut the lowest part of the crack into a “Λ” shape, providing more than one inch width for the bottom part.
- Take all the loose concrete out of the crack and cover it with a concrete bonding agent. Let it get dry.
- Take a wheelbarrow and prepare a generous amount of ready mix concrete as written in the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Cover the crack with the concrete you have prepared in the previous step and bring it at the same level as the surface of the step. Let the concrete get dry for about forty-five minutes.
- After that, take an unused broom or a whisk and make the surface a little rough. This way the surface will become non-slippery.
- Protect the surface with a heavy plastic sheet and remove it from time to time to wet a little the area. This way the concrete will be long-lasting and strong, because it will get dry slowly.
- Take the plastic sheet away after seen days. You can now step on your stair.
As you have seen, repairing concrete steps is an easy and it will cost you a small amount of money. In addition, if you follow the previous instructions, you can do this job by yourself.