Cleaning a fireplace chimney
Cleaning a fireplace chimney is a relatively easy task that can be accomplished in a few steps.
- Purchase a set of brushes and extension rods.
- Protect yourself from dust and dirt, by wearing old clothes, a dust mask and goggles.
- Open the metal chimney damper, that is above the fireplace.
- Carefully climb on top of the roof.
- Remove and inspect the the chimney cap. It is a very important part of the chimney, that protects it from animals, sparks, rain and debris.
- Connect the rods to the brushes, according to the producer’s manual.
- Using a up and down movement, brush the inner walls of the chimney.
- Using a short brush, clean the chimney flue and the part that connects the chimney with the fireplace.
- Use a brush or a vacuum to get rid of the ashes in the damper and fireplace.
- Sweep the floors and the walls of the chimney.
- Brush all the creosote buildups off.
- Vacuum the dust and debris once more.
- Do not forget to take the brush and rods up on the roof with you.
- Be careful when you get on the roof.