How to install water softeners
According to the quantity of minerals it contains the water in our houses can be divided into two categories: hard and soft. Hard water contains a large amount of mineral ions such as calcium, magnesium, iron and the like. Although hard water is safe to drink, it can damage the water pipes.
Instructions to follow
Installing a water softener is a challenging job that requires quite a lot of time. If you think that you cannot do this by yourself, ask the help of a professional. But, if you decide to install a water softener with your own hands, here are some detailed instructions that can help you accomplish this task successfully.
- The first thing you need to do is to choose the place where you plan to install your water softener.
- Now, find the exact place where the main water pipe gets into the house. You probably want to treat the whole amount of water that gets into your house so you need to connect the water softener to this pipe.
- If you want to treat only the water you use for washing, you need to connect the water softener to a secondary pipe coming from the main one.
- During the softening process waste materials are generated. These materials have to be flushed from the water softener. In order to make that happen, you have to install the water softener next to a pipe that leads to a septic or a waste tank.
- Make sure that there is an electrical outlet in the area where you plan to install your water softener. If you do not have an electrical outlet there, install one.
- Now, you have to install the bypass valve if you want to connect the water softener to the main water pipe.
- In order to do this, read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Connect the bypass valve with the head of the water softener or the controlling valve. The in and the out arrows should be oriented in the same direction.
- Attach the bypass valve to the pipes using the rubber O-rings as washers.
- Fix plastic tubes to the outlet of the overflow tank and to the outlet of the water softener (where the wastes are eliminated). Do not cover their free ends; let them free in the waste tank or in the drain.
- Start the water supply and check the water softener and all its accessories.
- If you see any working problems, read one more time the instructions or ask for help.
- Read the user manual in order to make sure that you utilize correctly your system.
If you want to ask a professional to install your water softener for you it will cost you some money. Change the lead piping because the lead can get into the water, thus causing lead poisoning. Soft water is necessary for washing dishes and clothes and bathing. Hard water can damage your water heater, shower filters, laundry machine, water pipes and dishwasher. This is why any household needs to have soft water.
|get rid of hard water, hard water solutions, how to install a water softener, instructions to install a water softener, steps to install a water softener, water pipes, water softener, water softener pipes, water softener system|