Instructions to install a hard water softener
Hard water contains a large amount of minerals such as calcium and potassium. Besides these minerals, hard water also contains sulfates, carbonates and bicarbonates. If you want to find out whether you have hard or soft water, use soap or detergent.
A water softener replaces the minerals in the water with sodium ions. This means that a water softener simply exchange the ions. Softened water contains many sodium ions, but this does not cause lime scale and other residue occur in the water pipes neither the formation of soap scum. If you want to install a water softener into your house, here are some helpful instructions for you to follow.
There are three types of water softeners available on the market: manually, semi-automatic and fully automatic systems. When choosing a water softener, take into account its capacity to remove hardness and its regeneration process. Of course, your available budget and your personal necessities are also important. You can install the water softener by yourself if you have some free time and plumbing skills. Here are the steps you should follow.
Before beginning any action, read very carefully the manufacturer’s instructions that came with the kit. You will find out detailed steps to install the water softener. Now, put all the necessary tools at hand. Follow these steps before installing the unit:
– Choose a safe and dry place to install the water softener unit;
– find the main water pipe to install the unit;
– If you have chosen a water softener that is made of brine and a resin, make sure you place them close from each other. Also, ensure yourself that the brine tank is placed to an accessible area.
– Turn off the electrical supply to the water heather and the water supply at the principal source. Do this by setting off the shutoff valves.
– Empty the water lines by opening all the inside and outside fixtures.
Instruction for water softener installation
After you have finished the preparatory steps mentioned above, it is time to start the installation process. Here are some detailed instructions you can follow.
- Attach the distributor tube in the mineral tank following the manufacturer’s instructions. Keep the upper part open and use the mineral tank to flush it.
- Cover the ends of the distributor with tape to stop the plastic beads getting into the distributor.
- Cover the screen intake by inserting gravels into the tank. Use a funnel to put the gravel into the tank slowly.
- Fill one-half of the tank’s capacity with softener resin.
- Follow the instruction guide book to secure very well the control valves.
- Connect the bypass and the water piping together and secure the screws.
- Now, you need to open the control valve. Put four gallon of water into the brine tank and forty pounds of potassium or sodium chloride.
- The last thing you need to do is to open the water supply valve. Keep it open until the water flows constantly and continuously from the drain.
These were the main instructions you can follow when installing a water softener with your own hands. If you find this task difficult, ask the help of a professional.