What is a patio?
A patio is a an outdoor area, also known as a courtyard or a forecourt, used as a recreational space or for dining or entertainment. Patios are either surrounded by walls or are sided terraces that can have a roof.
The most usual materials used for building patios are: bricks, tile, cut or natural paving stones, poured concrete
In Australia and India, the patio is an outdoor balcony or verandah.
Patios can include
- outdoor furnishings, built-in and movable
- landscape lighting
- outdoor fireplaces and radiant heaters
- container gardens
- fountains and statues
- umbrellas and adjustable awnings
- barbecues and outdoor kitchens
- entertainment systems
- bird feeders and bird baths
- spas and swimming pools