Concrete stairs building ideas
The staircase is usually the path that leads to your home and bedroom. They are as important as all the other elements in the house. You may have redecorated your bedroom, your kitchen, your living room and all the other rooms in the house, but something does not match when you look at your house.
How to do it
- The first thing you need to do is to establish where you are going to build your stairs. Also, you have to decide on the style of the stairs you want. Make sure that you keep the legal step dimension if you want to build concrete stairs. It is to be mentioned that if you want a 4-5 inches high step, you have to keep the tread depth 16-18 inches. If you want a 6-7 inches in height step, the tread should be between 10 and 14 inches. Standard measurements of the risers and the step treads vary inversely. Before beginning your construction, make a detailed plan you can follow.
- Next, you have to determine the number of steps you have to build. Divide your pre-established height of the staircase by the height of very step. Also, take into account the rise of the steps and the footing. The footing is usually represented by a foundation made of concrete and gravel that sustains the steps.
- After you finish with your calculations, you need to pick up the forms of the stairs. To give your steps the form you want you need molds or concrete forms.
- Take a sheet of plywood and cut out the form you want for your steps. Yellow pine or spruce is a good option for this purpose. Keep one-quarter inch distance to create a downward slope for the upward riser of each step.
- The forms you create need to sustain the weight of the concrete.
- Now, you have to begin with the first step at the bottom. After you finis with the first step, get to the second one. Make sure that each step form is smaller than the one before. The difference between each step should measure exactly as the dimension of the tread.
- After you finish building forms for the stairs, you need to do the same for the riser. Their length must lap over the side forms. Also, they should have the same height as the riser. Put the stair run on the sides of the platform where the staircase leads. Make sure that you place the forms perpendicular to the platform. Comfort each form using posts made of strong wood or metal. Fix them in place with nails or screws.
- Now, you have to pour the concrete into the forms you have built and put in place. Before mixing the concrete, read the manufacturer’s instructions to see how to prepare it correctly. Pour the concrete into the forms using a shovel and remove the excess. Hit slightly each form so that the trapped inside the concrete mixture should be released. Begin pouring the concrete with the first step at the bottom and work upwards. Make sure that each step is set and get to the next one.
- After that, you have to finish the steps. Be patient and careful because this step is a little difficult. Smooth the surface of the stairs with a trowel. Make continuous small lines on the surface of the steps by dragging a small broom from one side of the step to the other. Let the concrete harden and remove the forms. Finish the sides of the stairs with trowel to make them smooth. Let the concrete get dry completely for about one day. Now, you are free to use your steps.
|concrete forms, concrete staircase, concrete staircase building ideas, concrete stairs steps, decide the dimensions of concrete stairs, how to build concrete stairs, how to make the concrete for stairs, molds, plywood, the riser|