Ideas for repairing cracks in concrete stairs
During time, concrete stairs may break or cracks may occur because of the weather conditions and heavy traffic. Although they are very long lasting, they are not indestructible. That is why repairing is necessary from time to time.
Repairing cracked concrete stairs is not as difficult as it may seem if the damages are not severe. That is why you need to check out if the stairs are breaking into crumbs or chunks or if they present any serious crack. If there are small cracks into the concrete, the process of repairing is quite easy and will take you no more than an hour. Buy a good epoxy crack sealer and clean the damaged area very well. Do not start your project if the area is wet. Let it get dry; otherwise, the sealer will fail. Mix the epoxy sealer as written in the manufacturer’s instructions and use a flat putty knife to put a thin layer of adhesive on the crack’s length. Make the surface of the stair even and let the sealer get dry for about six hours.
If the treads of the stairs are broken, immediate repairing is required because they do not provide safety anymore. For this job, you need – wooden form (6mm);
– duct tape;
– quick setting cement;
- Use simple water to clean the area very well and let the stair get dry.
- Use your vacuum cleaner to remove any dirt, sand particles or gravel from the area.
- Measure the dimension of the stair and cut a suitable L-shape mold from the wooden form.
- Place the wooden form against the chipped stair corner and fix it using strips of duct tape.
- Use a plastic container to mix the quick setting cement with water.
- Apply the mixture into the concrete stair and the wooden frame. Move very fast because this type of cement gets dry very quickly.
- Use a trowel to even the edge and the corner of the stair.
- Remove the wooden form and the tape after 12 hours. That was all!