Tips for a nice staircase laminate flooring
If you want to make your stairs look more attractive, installing laminate flooring on them is a good idea. This is a cheap way to improve the aspect of your staircase and does not require special care.
Laminate flooring is a multi-layer synthetic product fused together with the help of a process called lamination.
On the other hand, this type of flooring looks as well as natural floor material, but it is much cheaper. In addition, laminate flooring for stairs comes in a variety of colors.
How to install laminate flooring on stairs
If you plan to install laminate flooring on your stairs, you should know that this is an easy task to accomplish. Usually, this flooring type presents glue backing, thus making its installation simpler.
- The first thing you need to do is to clean all the dirt, dust, adhesives or nails on the stairs where you want to install laminate flooring.
- Determine the middle of the uppermost stair using a measuring tape and use a marker to make a visible sign. Repeat this action for the riser of the top stair.
- Remove the adhesive of the laminate flooring and put it on the stair surface. Ensure yourself that the middle of the tile is placed straightly above the marked spot. Make sure the tile is smooth.
- Take the other tiles and arrange them, moving towards the left from the middle tile. After that, move to the right part of the middle tile and attach the rest of the tiles.
- Do the same for the riser and for the rest of the stairs.
Keep in mind
- If your staircase does not present a wall on both its sides, ask the help of a carpenter to help you; otherwise, the result will not have a professional look.
- Use glue to install your laminate flooring because it is safer than using foam as a foundation layer.
- Begin installing laminate flooring from the top of the stairs to the bottom in order to avoid walking on them.
- If you want to use nails instead of glue to install your laminate flooring use an automatic nailer, but first, make sure that the manufacturer recommend their use, otherwise you may damage the flooring.
- Make sure that the color of the laminate flooring fits well with the railing.
How to maintain laminate flooring
Laminate flooring does not require special maintenance, but there are a few things you can do to avoid damaging it. You should know that the laminate flooring is protected by a melamine resin layer. If you damage it, will also affect the print layer and it is not very easy to repair it. In order to avoid any unpleasant situation, clean your laminate flooring with a combination of warm water and white vinegar; dry the surface with a clean cloth. Do not use aggressive cleaners or detergents that contain a large amount of soap because they will damage the protection layer from your flooring. At the same time, avoid using scouring pads made of steel wool to clean the laminate flooring. Never let any water excess on the floor; remove it as soon as possible with a dry towel. If there are any persistent stains on the laminate flooring, clean them with some nail polish remover. In addition, do not sand, polish, wax or seal the floor. Use furniture glides to move large and heavy objects to avoid scratching you newly installed flooring.
Laminate flooring is the best choice if you want to change completely the aspect of your stairs. Besides the fact that it looks as well as other expensive flooring options, it requires low maintenance and it is durable.