Getting rid of termites
Because termites can do real damage to your house, it’s better to know what are the signs for termite infestation in order to prevent it.
- When there is warm outside, it’s very possible to see dry-wood termites that come out from their nests.
- Check your house for structural damages, especially in the places where the foundation meets the walls.rclma Use a flashlight to help you see better and a large screwdriver to find any sign of hollowed-out wood.
- Search for any sign of small tan, reddish-brown or black droppings.
- Look closely for mud tubes inside and outside as well, because subterranean termites build them for getting access to a food source.
Confirming what you have thought at first
- If you think you have a termite problem, call a professional to see if you are right and find out about your options regarding the elimination, control or prevention of the termite infestation.
Preventing termites yourself
- Don’t let any water leaks unrepaired or a dripping faucet.
- Roof water has to be controlled by correcting any gutter problems.
- If there is a drainage problem then it needs to be corrected.
- Any wood that is in direct contact with the soil needs to be removed or elevated.
- Use insect screening for any foundation vent.
- You have to caulk your home’s exterior in order to fill the cracks.
- When it’s time to repair the termite damages, you will need some professional help.
- If you have white light bulbs, it’s better to replace them with some yellow or pale-amber bulbs.
- A normal treatment has to last at least five years but inspections have to be done every two years.
- It’s better to learn about termite’s behavior or nesting habits, to know how to fight against them.