How to get rid of flying termites
If you find flying termites in your house, this means that you have a big problem and you need help from a termite exterminator.
- First of all you need to find out what are you dealing with. If you ask any professional exterminator, he will tell you that a simple insecticide can kill the flying termites but it won’t help you with the termite problem.
- In order to protect your house against termites, you have to learn about their lifecycle and the way to control them. Termites are organized in caste systems with workers, soldiers, queens and males. The workers need to gather food and repair the colony, while the queen will help the flying termites to develop. The males will start to look for the females to mate and also a place where they can build a colony. The number of termites per queen is between 3000 and 1,5 million so if there are flying termites around your house, this is a clear sign of a termite colony nearby. You can look for shed wings that can lead you to a termite colony.
- To get rid of termites, you need to kill the colony first and not the workers because this will do no good. For a complete extermination, the queen has to be killed. Start to look for the location of the colony by seeking the mud tubes around the foundation of your house. Also check the attics and the crawl spaces to find termites or even termite droppings.
- If you want to treat your home for controlling termites, it’s better to leave this to professional exterminators because some dangerous chemicals need to be used. If the colony is not in the soil then a fumigation tent can be used but otherwise one of the many repellents are necessary around the foundation of your home. If you want you can use non-repellent chemicals which termites can’t detect and so they will eat them and die. It’s enough for one worker to eat this poison and the colony will be killed because they act as a delivery system. Some poisons can even be injected in the walls and will protect them for the entire life of the wood. Another method can be the termite baiting station that is filled with bait wood and the insects have to eat this in order to be exterminated. Before using any of these killing methods, it’s better to read about them and see which one fits your needs.
- Instead of destroying a termite colony, it’s better to prevent it. To do this, you have to use poured concrete or masonry blocks whenever you find wood touching the ground. Check for any mud tubes that may appear and fix all roof leaks. Don’t let water to stand around the house and screen off attic accesses to block the bugs from entering. If flying termites are found around the house then some fumigants need to be set outside. This doesn’t solve the problem because you have to exterminate the colony before getting rid of the termites.
- Ants and termites are not the same and there are some big differences between them like the antennas, the wings or the size.
- If you call a termite exterminator to help you it’s better to check first if he has a license for doing pest
- Don’t use poisons before you read the instructions first.
- When you use any type of poison, some protective gear is necessary.
- Don’t let children or pets to be near the area you have used the poison treatment.