Chimney crown maintenance
The chimney crown is one of the most significant components of the chimney because it protects the bricks, the mortar joints and the fireplace. Maintenance is important. Keeping the chimney crown in good shape means you won’t have to worry about leaks or deterioration.rclmaYou will need a few things to do this job:
- 2 or 3 bags of masonry cement
- 1 or 2 bags of pea gravel
- To protect the roof, you must put the drop cloth on it before you start anything.
- Using a hammer and chisel, break the concrete without damaging the chimney flue though.
- Use a hoe to mix up half a bag of pea gravel with a bag of masonry cement in a wheelbarrow. Slowly mix the ingredients so that the mixture has just the right consistency.
- Before it becomes too thick, add a cup of bonding agent to the mixture and mix it so that it blends properly. This mixture will be your chimney crown.
- Pour the mixture, making sure to surround the chimney flue.
- Use the edge of the trowel to chop the cement so that you will get rid of the air bubbles that are in it.