Using a chimney barbecue starter
A chimney barbecue starter is a very effective way of lighting a fire for a barbecue. It is essentially a metal cylinder composed of 2 parts. A lower one which houses the flammable materials and an upper part that needs to be loaded with charcoal.rclma
- Using news papers, create what is called a “newspaper doughnut”. Roll 2 newspapers together at a time. You will need about 6 newspapers overall.
- Flip the barbecue starter upside down and take off the lower part cap. Be sure to use protective gloves when handling the device.
- Roll some more newspapers and place them inside the bottom part of the device.
- Leave a small gap in the middle of each newspaper doughnut so that air can flow.
- Flip the barbecue starter right side up and fill it with charcoal briquettes. Put the device on top of the grill you will use.
- Light the newspapers at the bottom of the device using a long match or a butane lither. Smoke must come out from the lower part of the barbecue starter.
- Wait 10 to 20 minutes for the newspapers to burn out, until the flames reach the charcoal. Flip the device upside down letting the charcoal fall on the barbecue.
- Apply cooking oil or vegetable oil to the newspapers to make them burn faster.
- The barbecue starter mustn’t be placed on a concrete surface when lit, because the heat will cause it to crack.