Building basement french drains
French drains are very popular in basements and have been used for a long time for controlling excessive water tables. The French drains collect the water and then it redirects it to a sump-pump that pumps the water outside of the basement. Here are a few tips on how to install a French drain in your basement:
- You will need o dig a trench with a width of 14 inches and a depth of 8.rclma You will need to do this around the entire perimeter of the basement. You need to use a jackhammer and pay great attention to this operation as you can damage the walls of the basement.
- Next remove the debris you have created from the digging.
- Place a layer of fine gravel into the trench. It should be 2 inches in height.
- Then lay the perforated pipe on top of the gravel. Start placing the pipes from the sump pump.
- Use pipe couplings to attach the pipes to one another.
- Now cover the pipes completely with gravel, until you reach the level of the floor basement.
- you can save some money from buying flexible pipes.