About chimney reparations
From time to time, a chimney requires reparations due to damaged mortar and bricks.
- A chimney is made out of bricks and mortar. These will become damaged over time.rclma While masonry chimney damage needs to be fixed by a professional, loose bricks and such issues can be fixed by just about anyone.
- Clean the chimney of any buildups that can cause serious damage. Professional cleaning is recommended.
- A chimney flue is the actual part of the chimney that assures an exit route for smoke that comes from a fireplace. It must be inspected and fixed if necessary.
- A chimney cap is very important because it keeps small animals, rain and debris out of the chimney flue. It must be fixed or replaced if necessary.
- To fix any damaged chimney mortar you will need protective goggles, a hammer and a chisel, mortar, a trowel, caulking gun and some caulking compound.
- Use the hammer and the chisel to break any damaged mortar.
- Apply the mortar using a trowel and smooth it in the right shape.
- The mortar on the top of the bricks must be sloped to allow rain to drain away.
- Any damaged mortar around the bricks must be removed with a hammer and a chisel and replaced with fresh mortar.
Keep the mortar dry 3 to 5 days so it can dry and harden.