How to build a bookcase by yourself
Homemade bookcases are very practical because they will help you save some money and at the same time, they are very practical and suitable to store books, pictures and other ornamental objects. A ready-made bookcase can be quite expensive but you can make one by yourself and keep you money. An existing bookcase will help you accomplish this work.
Steps to follow
- Determine the dimensions of the place where you want to install your unit and note them on a piece of paper. This way you will know how big your bookcase should be to fit perfectly in the place you have chosen.
- Pick up the type of wood you want to use for your project. You can utilize plywood and decorate it with a veneer reassembling pine, cherry or oak. Maple is also a good choice. Use hardwood if you have heavy items to store in your bookcase.
- Use a tape measure and a pencil to measure and mark the wood where you are going to cut it. Make two sides, the back, a top, and several shelves ready.
- Use an electric saw to cut precisely each part of the bookcase.
- Put the pieces together. Attach the sides of the unit to its back with nails or screws after you make sure that the objects you want to place on them fit perfectly. Fasten the top to the sides and back. Put all the shelves in place and attach. Count the number of shelves you have made and divide the height of your bookcase to the resulted number. This way you will be able to keep an equal distance between them. If you plan to store many books in your unit, use brackets to fix the shelves in place and glue for the corners.
- Read the instructions that came with the stain and apply it on your bookcase. Let it get dry very well before arranging your objects.