Tips to repair a burnt ottoman
The upholstery of an ottoman can be very easily damaged by burning it with a cigarette, a hot plate or a candle. You can patch a little hole with a minimum of effort but if the damaged area is quite large, you have to replace that part of the upholstery. None of these two jobs require more than five hours.
Materials and tools:
- Pins and staple gun
- Sewing machine
- Embroidery scissors
- Pliers and screwdriver
- Scissors and seam ripper.
Replace small burn
- Use an embroidery scissors to remove the burnt area of the upholstery.
- Utilize a screwdriver and pliers to open the underneath of your ottoman. In most cases, these parts of the ottomans are covered in cambric; remove it and pick a larger size of the original upholstery then the damaged surface.
- Insert a folded cut iron-on patch material having measuring twice than the damaged area into the hole. Make sure you arrange your patch with the adhesive side facing up when you unfold it. Place the patch under the hole and cut out a larger amount of fabric than the damaged area.
- Cover the whole spot with the repair fabric. In order to activate the adhesive on the patch, iron the fabric and the repaired area. Check out to see if the new fabric is attached correctly. Cut out excessive fabric with the embroidery scissors and staple the fabric covering the bottom of the ottoman.
Replace large top cover
- Put your ottoman with face down and get the top cover out using pliers and a screwdriver. Remove the cover and open the seam within the sides and the top with a seam ripper.
- Put the replacement fabric under the cover to cut the exact shape and size you need.
- Place the repairing cover on the table with the right side facing up. Fold the sides of the first corner inside out and align all corners. Use pins to attach each side to the top cover and right sides together. Sew another seam as the old one and turn the cover with the right side out.
- Arrange the new cover on the ottoman. Place the ottoman with its up side facing down and draw the cover to the back beginning with the top center. Apply staples two inches from the edge. Staple every inch from the bottom center to both sides of the ottoman. Overlap and tuck the corners; get the black cambric in place and apply staples.