Instructions to build your own media-shelving unit
A media shelving unit will help you store your CDs and DVDs without crowding the space in your room. This way you will be able to have your things organized and keep your collection safe. You can choose to build a media-shelving unit on both sides of your TV or even into a free space between a door and a window.
Materials and tools:
- Brads or small nails, 1-inch
- 1/4-inch bit
- 1-by-8 inch boards, 6 feet long, 2
- 1-by-8 inch boards, 16 1/2 inches wide, 10
- Screwdriver bit
- 1 “L” bracket
- Wood screw, 1/2-inch
- Shelf pins, 4 per shelf
- Measuring tape
- Wood screws, 1 1/2-inch
- Wood glue
- Hardboard, 18 inches by 6 feet
Steps to follow:
- Find out the dimensions of the place where you want to install your unit. This article’s instructions are based on an 18-inch wide by 6 feet tall available space.
- Determine the height and depth of the biggest item you want to store on the shelves; it can be your TV or a favorite CDs/DVDs collection.
- Put two six-foot long boards on the floor; the eight-inch side of the boards should be facing down. Measure 1 ½ inches in from the two sides of each board and draw two parallel lines following the length of the board with a yardstick.
- Make small marks along the parallel lines. Connect these marks on the two boards with a line; the lines should match perfectly.
- Take a piece of tape and wrap it ¼ inch from the end of the quarter-inch drill bit. Make a quarter-inch deep hole with a drill at every intersection of the vertical and horizontal lines.
- Place the six-foot boards with the holes inside; they must face each other. Put one 16 ½ inch board between the long boards on the top. Place the other 16 ½-inch board at the bottom of the long boards.
- Screw the sides of the long boards with the ends of the short boards to create a box shape.
- Apply some glue on the 1-inch on each side of the box and put the hardboard over it. Arrange the sides and the top and fasten them together.
- Put the shelf in the right place. Press an L-bracket against the wall, on the highest part of the shelf and fix it with screws. After that, insert a screw through the bracket to connect the bracket to the wall.
- Put shelf pins into the holes and arrange your shelves the way you want.